The RCM was established in 1881 as the Matron's Aid or Trained Midwives Registration Society, but has existed under its present name since 1947. In 1881, Vita Donum Dei was the College's slogan, which meant ''Life is the gift of God''. This was an old hymn that midwives used to sing.
They are the voice of midwifery and are the UK’s only trade union and professional organisation led by midwives for midwives and those that support them.
Cavell Nurses' Trust works with RCM, referring people who fit its criteria for help.